|
Malcolm Turnbull not canvassing support ahead of possible
Liberal party room spill: spokesperson - 4th February
2015

Profiles
Politics
Television
Entertainment

Tony
Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull
A
spokesperson for Liberal frontbencher Malcolm Turnbull
has denied he is canvassing backbenchers for support
in a potential vote on the leadership, as senior ministers
lock in behind Tony Abbott.
Cabinet
has wound up a two-day meeting in Canberra ahead of
parliament's return next week.
As
some Coalition MPs publicly call for a change, Mr
Turnbull, who led the party in opposition before Tony
Abbott, and Julie Bishop have been touted as potential
replacements.
The
ABC has phoned dozens of Coalition MPs and can identify
10 who would support a spill motion, while another
20 could be described as highly disaffected or harbouring
deep concerns.
Senior
minister Ian MacFarlane said Mr Abbott's leadership
should not be opened to a vote.
"I
do not think there should be a spill," he said.
"I
think it's ridiculous, we need to get on with the
job at hand."
Cabinet
colleague Eric Abetz added his voice to the support
for Mr Abbott.
"There's
been a whole lot of hyperventilation over nothing,"
he said.
"The
Prime Minister has the overwhelming support of the
party room, unanimous support of the Cabinet and we'll
continue to do what we need to do and that is look
after the interests of the Australian people."
Earlier,
reports emerged that two MPs had revealed Mr Turnbull
had called them to gauge their support.
ABC
News has been unable to confirm that.
Mr
Turnbull's office said he was not trying to secure
numbers if there was a spill.
However,
the spokesperson told the ABC Mr Turnbull had taken
calls and made calls to concerned colleagues.
Cabinet
minister Christopher Pyne says Malcolm Turnbull has
assured him that he is not canvassing support among
Coalition MPs to take over the top job.
"I
can tell you categorically that Malcolm Turnbull has
not been ringing colleagues and canvassing for support
because I asked him myself point blank and he told
me that was not true," he told Macquarie Radio.
Mr
Turnbull's supporters suspect the report is an attempt
by Mr Abbott's backers to "flush out" the
former leader and force him into publicly ruling out
a challenge.
Yesterday,
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop - who is also regarded
as a possible leader - told Cabinet that she would
not challenge Mr Abbott and was not "campaigning"
for the job.
Mr
Abbott had earlier yesterday sidestepped questions
about whether she had refused to give him such a commitment
in a meeting on Sunday.
In
an interview today, Ms Bishop did not rule out standing
for the leadership if the spill was instigated by
other party room members.
"I
should not be called upon to rule out what I'm clearly
not doing," she told the AFR.
"Seriously,
it leaves open the possibility that I might be hit
by a bus tomorrow. I'm not dealing in hypotheticals,
I will deal with reality.
"I
said to the PM yesterday that I am not campaigning
for his job, I am not ringing the backbench seeking
support, I am not counting numbers. I support the
leader, PM Tony Abbott.
"Tony
Abbott is the leader, Tony Abbott is the PM, so I
am supporting him."
She
also declined to criticise Government MPs who have
publicly questioned Mr Abbott's performance.
Abbott
appeals for end to 'navel gazing'
Earlier
Mr Abbott appealed to disgruntled party colleagues
to stop "navel gazing" and dismissed former
Victorian Liberal premier Jeff Kennett's claim that
his leadership had become "terminal".
"We
have a robust party room, we've always had a robust
party room and I hope that will always continue,"
he told Macquarie Radio.
"I've
had members of Parliament stand up and tell me to
my face in the party room over the years that I've
got this wrong, I've got that wrong, I'm this, I'm
that, I'm a so-and-so. And that's their democratic
right.
"What
I think everyone in the party room understands is
that the last thing we should do is go anywhere near
reproducing the rabble of the Labor years."
Mr
Kennett said Mr Abbott's pain was largely "self-inflicted"
and that he had lost the support of the public, including
traditional Liberal supporters.
"Sadly
the realisation has dawned on most politicians that
where the leadership of the party is now is terminal,"
he told AM.
"It
needs to be resolved as quickly as possible so that
the party can move on."
Mr
Abbott dismissed that assessment, saying only that
"obviously Jeff Kennett's entitled to his view".
While
four of Mr Abbott's backbenchers have publicly demanded
their concerns about his leadership be resolved -
possibly through a vote at next Tuesday's party room
meeting - senior Cabinet figures have moved to defend
his performance.
Treasurer
Joe Hockey rejected claims a larger group was preparing
to move against Mr Abbott, and said any agitators
should come out into the open.
"That's
gossip, I don't know. If there's dozens, come out
dozens," he told reporters in Canberra.
Victorian
frontbencher Andrew Robb also rejected the suggestion
that the leadership row be brought to a head.
"We
need to show stability, we need to remove the surprises,
we need to show unity," Mr Robb said.
(ABC
News)
|